Some are Called

HOME Forums PLAY-BY-POST The Calling Some are Called

This topic contains 22 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by BerticusMaximus 1 year ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author

Cu Dearg
    Participant

“There are many Realms, some have many Gods, some have none. Sometimes, the Gods call Heroes to realms where they need to be. when they do this, often they do not use their own Clergy, but lay followers, or even heroes who do not follow them by name, but seem to share their ways. Those that are Called often have no idea why they are Called, or Who Called them. What is needed could be as simple a task as watching a fire, or as great as fighting an Army. the Way usually seems clear, but sometimes that is only the beginning.”

Arianne, Lady of the Chapel.

Cu Dearg
    Participant

Szorzaer- You can hear the skittering legs of the drider that you had seen with the patrol in the distance, prehaps somewhat closer than yesterday, but sounds could be deceptive in the underdark. You recall Leanara, the only female you had seen with Bregan D’aerthe, wake you from your sleep three cycles of Narbondel ago shouting for you to run while her sword seemed to dance of it’s own will and her eyes flashed green in the darkness with the joy of battle. You had almost stayed and fought beside her, only for the joy of combat you had missed these last seven years, but something had compelled you to follow her instructions and flee. And what chance did two stand against thirty? As you ran your mind had began to ask questions, Why had Leanara’s eyes, normally the red of most of your people, glowed green? Why had she, a sorceress of some skill, chosen to fight with blade and not spell? and Why had she chosen to guard your escape against such odds instead of letting them kill you in your sleep?
    As you run you round a bend and the passage opens into a cavern, small by underdark standards, there is a small opening, similar to a door, and a small forest of stalagmites to the right of it. you can see no other ways out of the smooth walled chamber, and you can hear the foot steps of the patrol only minutes behind you at most.

Aella- Even more than two days later you thanked the orc for the broken twig. Even in your sleep that small sound had been enough warning for you to roll away from the arrow that came at you. Unfortunately, that roll had snapped your bow and taken you further from your sword and armor, leaving you only one option as you saw the 6 orcs charge into the clearing, RUN. and run you had. the rest of that night, the next day, and the next. Now the sun was near setting on the third. And still you heard them behind you, closer than before. you round a small hill and there before you is a small chapel, long abandoned from the looks of it, but with what looks like a solid door open to all. To the south of it (even in your current state you know that south is to the right of the chapel) is a orchard, over grown and uncared for for many years, but obviously an orchard. The orcs were closing, and you could not run much longer……

Ceara-It was only luck that nature had called you way from the camp your small group of travelers had made, and luck that the goblins had not silenced you before they attacked. but that was where luck had left you for as you ran, leaving all your possessions in the camp, they had heard you. And they followed you. several times you thought that they had given up the chase over the past few days, but each time your ears had proven you wrong. Even now you can heard them closing on you, as your tired legs carry you around a bend in the trail and into a small clearing. before you is a building that looks like an abandoned chapel, with a overgrown orchard to the right of it. Your legs scream their weariness to you as you hear the goblins grow closer….

shewolf
    Keymaster

The orchard is tempting, but fatigue is taking precedence over normal desires.

I run for the chapel.

Musikchik
    Participant

Being scared and tired I look from the orchard to the chapel. Knowing that the only way to escape is to hide.

I run towards the chapel hoping my legs will not give out until I have found cover.

BerticusMaximus
    Participant

Not knowing that lies beyond, but sure that death lies behind me. I grab my boot knife and make for the door like portal.

Cu Dearg
    Participant

Szorzaer-you pass the door and enter a room approximately thirty feet deep and a bit more than that wide, directly across from the door you entered is an alter to some forgotten Deity, and several benches, made from wood brought from the surface, are arranged in rough rows before it. The feeling of calm that permeates the place is refreshing, and even tho you can here the muffled sounds of discussion from the Patrol just outside the door, you can not make out any words. As you look back you can see them standing there, but they seem to pay no attention to the doorlike opening that you have just passed through. Instead, they seem in hurried conversation, about what you can not make out. a second look around the room shows there to be a few candles on the alter, and a door in each corner of the far wall

Aella- you find yourself in a room about sixteen unhurried paces wide and twelve deep. Rough, dust covered benches are are arranged in front of the similarly dust covered altar directly in front of you along the far wall. Along with what appears to be a few offerings of grains on the altar there are also several unlit candles, with more candles in sconces along the walls. The dim light from the setting sun makes it difficult to tell, but there seems to be a door in each corner of the far wall. You are unsure if it is fatigue or some other factor that makes you so calm and relaxed as the orcs that have chased you make a cook fire just five or six paces outside the door

Ceara-even in your wearied state the calmness of the place surprises you. The dust that covers the low altar seems to be every where, on the benches in front of the altar, on the candles along the walls, even on the two doors you see in the corners of the far wall. The candles on the Altar are the only thing that appears to not be covered in the dust. It almost seems strange that the muffled arguing of the goblins out front remind you of their existence, but they pay no attention to the chapel. Instead, several seem to be arguing about something you can not make out clearly, four or five have sat down to eat something of questionable origin, and one appears to have decided to sleep in front of the door.

BerticusMaximus
    Participant

I inspect the alter.

shewolf
    Keymaster

I check the door through which I entered to make sure it’s secure then take my time inspecting the room, being very careful to be as silent as possible near the other doors.

Cu Dearg
    Participant

Szorzaer-the altar is simple, a plain table with a few unlit candles, and some stems from a surface plant that appear to be recently cut. The candles lack the layer of dust that covers the rest of what is obviously some sort of chapel

Aella-even the scrape of the closing door and the slight slam of the bar going home fail to get the slightest response from the orcs. In the North west corner there is a ladder leading up and you think you might make out a door in the ceiling above it, but the darkness makes it hard to be sure. a layer of undisturbed dust covers everything but the candles and wheat on the simple altar.

BerticusMaximus
    Participant

I pick up the candles and place them in my pouch. In a whispered tone ” Thanks, as a god Im sure you wont be needing these” I decide to take a few minutes, as I feel safer than I have in a while, and inspect the rest of the room, opening each door, and looking.

shewolf
    Keymaster

I sit on one of the benches and rest for a little while. Once I’ve caught my breath, I get up and walk around the room again to see if there’s anything I missed.

Once I’m satisfied with my inspection of the room, I walk over to the ladder. I inspect it as best I can in the darkness and, ONLY if it looks like it will hold me, begin to climb.

Cu Dearg
    Participant

Szorzaer- as soon as your hand touches the candles your vision goes black. You feel light headed, but still comfortable. Everything becomes a whirlwind of partial visions. You hear bits and pieces of thousand of conversations. You see figments of thousands of memories, very few of them yours. great battles on the surface, in caverns, in forests, in towns and fields. and always near by, two figures. They look to be Sisters, or perhaps Mother and Daughter. Both in plate armor, with swords in hand, one (the one with the bloody sword) seem harsh and reserved, while the other (the one who’s sword is wrapped in flame) exudes joy from her green eyes and large smile. a female voice thunders in your head,
    “YOU ARE CALLED, WARRIOR”
    then there is nothing…..

Aella- you only intended to take a short rest, but as soon as you sat down your eyes began to close and your head nods. even as you try to fight sleep, the visions start. Three figures, a man and two women, walking towards you. first on a Steppe, then a mountain ridge, then threw a forest clearing, then in hills. One woman, the older one, dressed in plain work clothes of a farmer stops as the other two continue forward. The man’s cloak seems made from oak leaves, and you think you see antlers on his head. The Younger woman dressed in leathers and carrying a bow, looks back at the elder one, then at the man. a smile forms on her lips and in your mind you hear a voice that you believe to be hers.
    ” YOU ARE CALLED, RANGER”
    and Darkness overcomes you……

Musikchik
    Participant

As I look around I think. I inspect the alter and think back. I think back to ask the years of bardic knowledge I have acquired and see if I have ever ran across a story or scrolls, or long lost tails of a place like this out an alert that looked like this.

Cu Dearg
    Participant

Ceara-the only thing that comes to your mind is that simple chapels with offerings of grain are usually for agricultural or fertility gods, but you do not see any symbols you recognize in this place.

Musikchik
    Participant

I sit on a bench facing the door I came in to rest my weary legs.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.